Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Reunited

“Naqi is me and Safwa’s long lost… cousin.” Yusof said while looking at Naqi and awkwardness.

“What??” Azim, Hana and I said in confusion.

“Is it weird to say that I feel the same way as you guys?” Safwa said.

“Naqi is it true?” Azim asked.

Naqi only sighed and said, “Actually, I recognized Yusof and Safwa since we met in the forest.”

“Well, why didn’t you say anything??” Yusof asked in frustration.

“Because I thought that you or Safwa’s memory would come rolling back after seeing my face.” Naqi explained.


“How can we remember? It’s almost been 4 years!” Safwa exclaimed.

Azim, Hana and I just kept quiet throughout the whole ‘family reunion’ session. After 20 more minutes of ‘family-talk’, Hana finally spoke up. “Hey! The three of us have been standing here like mannequins for almost 20 minutes!”

At that moment, Safwa, Yusof and Naqi stopped speaking at once.

“Now, explain. How did Naqi get lost and how did you two siblings manage to forget Naqi?” Azim demanded.

“Why don’t you explain the whole story Naqi?” Yusof insisted. Safwa agreed.

Naqi sighed while the rest of us looked at him, desperate for an explanation. Especially Azim, Hana and me.

“This whole thing, started 4 years ago in 20…” Naqi stopped for a while as he was counting.

“It’s now 2020 so 4 years ago was 2016. We were 11.” I said.

“Ah yes. 2016. Your dear friends, Safwa and Yusof, were like siblings to me. Until one day, we were playing ‘Simon Says’. And I still remember Yusof saying, ‘Simon says, be like me.’ And that’s when, I accidentally, duplicated Yusof’s form.” Naqi stopped for a while when he saw me sitting in the air. I grinned while he shook his head and continued, “Safwa begin to said in fear, ‘brother why is Naqi you?’ I told them, ‘promise me not to say a word about this!’ The two siblings glanced looks and nodded.”

Naqi stopped again to let some memories flow back. “But Safwa being such a chatterbox, told her father about me duplicating Yusof’s form. At first, her father thought it was just some of Safwa’s tall-tales. After Safwa actually convinced him that I actually turned into Yusof, Uncle Izham (Yusof and Safwa’s father), asked Yusof. Yusof not being able to tell a lie, told uncle Izham about my abilities. And soon, I was chased out of the village.” Naqi stopped to turn to Yusof who was looking down at the floor speechlessly.

Naqi continued, “Everyday, my father would bring me food to this cave where I used to live in. But alas, after two months, the townspeople soon found out about him bringing me food and 2 days later, he was sent to prison.” Naqi’s eyes turned red. So, from there, I had to live on my own. Finding my own food, building shelter you get the point.”

“But, I never thought that the day will come where four other lads would come and join me on my fabulous life.” Naqi said as he smirked.  

I flew down to land and said, “Interesting story Naqi. Ever thought of writing a novel based on it?”

Hana made a small laugh. “Anyone agrees with me on leaving this man made cabin by tomorrow at dawn?”

“Me.” I said while raising my hand.

“Well good luck living on your own mates. I can assure you that you two will only live for one day, and that’s a promise.” Naqi said.

Hana lifted one eyebrow and said, “I’d rather die than rather stay in your cabin of secrets.” I chuckled. We both walked out the cabin door, searching for the unknown.


To be continued in: Self living. 

No comments:

Post a Comment