Sunday, July 24, 2016

Self living

As Hana and I were walking out, a sweet voice suddenly pipped up, “I’m coming with you guys!” Hana and I turned around. It was Safwa.
 
Yusof looked at Safwa in disbelief. “What? No!”
 
“I can’t be the only female here!” Safwa replied with hands on her hips. As Safwa was about to go, Yusof held her by the arm and said, “I’m not letting my own sister go!”
 
Naqi put his hand on Yusof’s shoulder and said, “She has a point Yusof. Let her go.” Yusof was speechless but yet, he let go of his grip. Immediately, Safwa ran towards me and Hana.
 
I looked at Yusof; he gave me a cold stare. The three boys went inside the cabin and slammed the door shut.
 
“So where are we going to stay?” I asked. Before Hana or I could say anything, Safwa said, “We can built a shelter made out of sticks and leaves at a flat ground, somewhere near water, where we can get sunlight and where there’s wind.”
 
Hana and I looked at Safwa in amazement. “How do you know all of this?” I asked.
 
Safwa took out a book entitled, ‘the survivors guide to living in the wild.’ From her pocket.
 
“Where did you get that book Safwa??” Hana asked.
 
Safwa grinned and then said, “remember when we were digging through Naqi’s chest of stuff? I found this particular book and figured that it’ll be useful in the future.”
 
“Smart thinking Safwa.” I said impressed.
 
That night, the three of us slept in our self-made shelter. After Hana had slept peacefully, Safwa suddenly nudged me from my sleep and asked, “how long will we have to stay hidden?”
 
I turned to Safwa and looked into her glimmering silver eyes, trying to figure out a perfect answer for the little innocent child.
 
After a long moment of silence Safwa finally whispered, “You don’t have answer for me don’t you?”
 
I only gave her a smile and nodded.
 
“I miss Yusof.” Safwa said sadly as she looked up into the starry night. I hugged Safwa and patted her back. “Don’t worry. Sooner or later we’ll reunite with them.”
 
Safwa hugged me back. “At least I think so.” I whispered softly as I drifted off into sleep.
 
The next morning, I woke up to see that Safwa wasn’t in the shelter but only Hana was. I got out of the shelter and saw Safwa sitting down while throwing stones into a beautiful lake.
 
I sat down next to her and said, “well your up early.”
 
Safwa only smirked and said, “Well you know what they say, the early bird gets the worm!” And with that she threw another rock. “Why don’t you wake up Hana?” Safwa continued.
 
I went back into the shelter and shook Hana. “Hana wake up!”
 
“Wake me up later! It’s too early!” She whined. “Come on Hana. Safwa and I are already awake!” I exclaimed.
 
“I’ll only wake up when cows speak our language.” Hana said with her face still in her jacket.
 
“We both know that that’s never going to happen!” I said.
 
“Exactly.” Hana replied. 
 
I rolled my eyes in annoyance and called for Safwa. She came in the shelter and I whispered my idea into her ear. Immediately Safwa smiled with glee and did what she was told.
 
Safwa turned into a cow and said, “Hana… Wake up!!! Moo!!”
 
Hana opened one eye and said, “it’s Safwa, isn’t it?”
 
Safwa and I giggled and in an instant, Hana woke up. “So, what’s today’s plan?” Hana asked. 
 
“I’m starving.” Safwa pipped up.
 
“Point at who you want to go to town and buy food.” I said. Instantly Safwa and Hana pointed at me.
 
I rolled my eyes. “Fine. But, if I don’t come back alive this is going to be your fault.” I said as I pointed to Safwa and Hana.
 
Before I left, Hana gave me her jacket and glasses while Safwa gave me her cap. “Good luck.” Safwa wished before I left.
 
“Don’t worry, she’ll come back alive…. I think so.” Hana replied with a giggle. I only shook my head, flew and left.
 
When I arrived at the town, the place seemed so peaceful. Even more peaceful than I thought it would be. In the distance, I saw my village friends playing together like they didn’t know I was gone.
 
I held my tears and went to look for Hana and Safwa’s food.
 
“Two egg sandwiches and one sardine sandwich please… To go.” I ordered as I looked fished for the money that Hana gave me before I left in my pocket.
 
I looked up; the waitress gave me a long look before repeating my order. “Please, find a seat while waiting for your order miss.” The waiter said as she left.
 
I turned around; not a single seat was available. Only a table with a man in a hoodie had one seat available. Having no other choice, I sat down in front of him.
 
This particular man was looking down so I couldn’t see his face clearly. “Hello sir.” I said.
 
The man looked at me. The moment I saw his face, I gasped. “Naqi!”
 
“Shhh!!!” He hissed back. “We both don’t want to be seen so better off you shut your mouth!”
 
“You don’t have to be so crabby!” I answered back, not liking the way he responded.
 
“How can I not be?” Naqi replied. “Ever since you and Hana took Safwa away, you’ve been causing me and Azim trouble!”
 
I looked at him for a moment before saying, “How?”
 
“Yusof has been worried sick. Day and night without stop he has been wondering around the cabin whining, “why Safwa? Why??” It’s been giving me and Azim a headache! Azim is back at the cabin trying to find a way to help Yusof put himself back together!” Naqi snapped.
 
“So what are you saying?” I asked. “That this is all mine and Hana’ fault??”
 
“Technically yes!” Naqi said.
 
Before either Naqi or I could say another word, a waiter interrupted, “Sorry to interrupt but sir, here’s your order,” the waiter said as he handed Naqi 3 sandwiches.
 
“Thanks.” Naqi said.
 
“Remember when Yusof was holding Safwa’s arm and disagreed with the fact that Safwa wanted to leave? Remember who was the guy that told Yusof to let Safwa go? Remember who that was huh??” I asked.
 
Naqi stayed quiet for a moment. So did I. Suddenly, I found myself in the air, lifted by Naqi’s telekinesis. The people in the shop gasped.
 
“Naqi what in the world are you doing?!” I shrieked.
 
“Showing you that you chose the wrong day to put me and Azim in chaos!” Naqi said as he threw me out of the shop window where I landed on something soft.
 
I turned around. It was Safwa who had turned into a horse. “Safwa!” I shouted in relief. “How did you and Hana—“
 
“Simple! Hana could hear your shriek and urged me to the town!” Safwa replied.
 
“No time for chit-chat!” Hana said. “Move it Safwa!”
 
Without another word, Safwa used her horse legs to take me and Hana into the forest.
 
But, before we knew it, Yusof and Azim had found us. Yusof had turned into white stallion horse and Azim was on Yusof’s back.
 
“Safwa!” Yusof neighed.
 
“Brother!” Safwa replied.
 
“No time for sibling talk!” I shouted. “Run Safwa run!” I shouted again as I saw the village people raising their pitchforks in the air and running towards us.
 
As Safwa was running, before we knew it, the village people had cornered up the whole village. “We’re trapped, cornered!” Yusof neighed in distress.
 
“They’re back!”
 
“I thought they were dead!”
 
“I wished they were dead!”
 
“Trouble makers!”
 
I flew over the whole in time. I saw people with torches and pitchforks everywhere.
 
“I wish…” I said. “I wish that this would all just stop!” I screamed at the top of my lungs while closing my eyes. Suddenly, all the screaming, shrieking and sounds stopped immediately. I opened my eyes, everyone had stopped moving.
 
I flew down. I looked around. Everyone in sight had turned frozen!
 
“Hana?” I said as I touched her stone like face. “Safwa?” Safwa had too turned frozen.
 
“Azim? Yusof?” I said as I look at the two boys who didn’t move. Azim had that fighting look on his face while Yusof was still a horse.
 
“I knew it.” Said a voice. I looked up; it was Naqi. He flew down right in front of me.
 
“What, what happened?” I asked frightened.
 
“I knew that you had the particular power that only one out of all the emerald eyes in the world have. The power to freeze time including every existence on earth.” Naqi said with a smile.
 
I was confused. What did this whole thing mean? “How do I activate this power?”
 
“You activate it whenever you’re stressed out or frustrated.” Naqi explained. “But, you don’t know how to control it yet. But don’t worry; sooner or later you’ll learn how, naturally.”
 
“But, but how do I make things back together?” I asked.
 
Naqi walked to me and whispered, “just relax and let me fix this.” With that, he moved his hands in the air and suddenly, I found myself in a carnival with Hana, Safwa, Yusof and Azim. This carnival was held last month!
 
“But how—“ I said. I turned around and saw nothing but village people living happily. I didn’t see Naqi anywhere.
 
“What’s the hold up?” Safwa asked me.
 
“Wasn’t Naqi here?” I asked.
 
“Naqi? How do you know him? His mine and Yusof’s long lost cousin.” Safwa exclaimed.
 
I gave Safwa an odd look and said, “you seriously don’t remember any…” and stopped. “You know what, forget it. It must have been a mistake.” I continued.
 
Safwa took it lightly and said, “Hana’s waiting at the ferris wheel with Azim and Yusof. I guess that I’ll meet you there?”
 
“Yeah… Okay.” I said as I saw Safwa leaving. I stood at where I was for a second, thinking about what actually happened.
 
“Was it all a dream?” I muttered. I shook my head and put my hands into my pocket. I felt a folded paper in my right pocket. I took out the piece of paper and unfolded it. It said: “Anyone can run away, it’s a piece of cake. Facing problems and walking through them, that’s what makes you strong.”  Remember that.

-Naqi 

No comments:

Post a Comment