Saturday, November 19, 2016

Proving Worthiness

“I’m sure that one of these tunnels lead to a death path.” I said.

“You’re mistaken young one,” the old man told me in a wise way. “Only one leads the right way. While the other two, aye, a death path.”

Yusof’s face suddenly lit up, and he said. “Eenee meenie mine emo, catch the tiger—“

“Seriously?” Ameera cut him off. We all giggled.

“Stop wasting time youngsters.” Said the old man sternly. “Hurry and choose.”

“I say we got to the second tunnel.” Syaima’ suggested.

“Huh? But why?” I asked her.

“I’m born in February twenty fifth! And number two has always been my lucky number!” Said Syaima’ with a grin.

“What’ll happen if we go in the second tunnel?” Azhan asked the old man.

“’Tis a secret and fate!” Said the old man rather dramatically.

“Well what’re we waiting for?” Azim asked, running into the second tunnel, “’tis fate!!” he mimicked the old man, leaving us laughing.

The few first steps in the tunnel was a dark journey. Yusof had sworn that he heard a slithering snake somewhere. What a scaredy-cat I thought. After what seemed like eternity, something came up.

Clang! Clang! Clang!

“What was that?” Safwa asked rather scared at the tremendous sound.

Azim walked further and almost fell into what seemed like a bottomless abyss! Thank fully, he was saved by Azhan who pulled him by the collar.

“Watch your step!!” Azhan said rather worried.

“The sound came from a bridge that connects and unconnects every… err… let’s see… oh 20 seconds. And it’s a fast 20 second alright!” Azim said after his rescue.

“There’re seven of us. So we’ll go by three. Azim, Syaima’ and Ameera will make the first move. Each taking five seconds. After them will be Azhan, Safwa and Nuha. Finally me.” Yusof said, rather organized. We all looked at him, in amazement.

“Well what’re you waiting for?” Yusof asked sternly. “Time’s a wasting!”

We did as we were told. Azim took the first jump onto the bridge with Syaima’ and Ameera. Azhan, Safwa and me going next. Safwa almost slipped as she was at the end of the bridge but Azim used his telekinesis to save Safwa. Finally, it was Yusof’s turn.

Yusof got on the bridge in the nick of time. But…
When the bridge stopped, it connected to the other side with a hard knock, making Yusof lose his balance and before we of neither did he know it, he fell; rapidly! Too fast for even Azim to save him!

“Yusof!” Safwa shouted in horror, her voice trembled. 

“Don’t worry!” Yusof shouted back. “Just find Kimi and tell him I love him as a brother and a friend!!” Yusof’s voice faded into the abyss.

Our faces were ever so pale and Azhan gave out a sudden sob followed by Azim’s sniffs. “Come on.” Azim said with his red nose. “We have to find Kimi.”

With faces as pale as paper, we continued the journey. Everyone except Azim got over the fact that Yusof was lost in the abyss. Well, we didn’t really get over it but we just had to move on.

The next obstacle was a fire path. Flames would come unexpectedly out of the path. But Safwa was smart enough to see the patterns.

“Like a song!” Said Safwa. Without a second thought, she sprinted across the blazing flames, leaving us dumbfounded.

“Go right, left, then jump as high as you can!” Safwa shouted from the other side of the flame path.

Azhan went first, almost burning off his pants. Followed by Azim and Ameera. We all reached the other side safely. No losing another member. All was safe! The next obstacle was walking in muddy water.

Azhan gave an arrogant scoff, and said “How hard could this be?” And with that, Azhan and Azim went into the muddy water and started walking. All seemed well, until Azim felt something pulling his leg down into the water.

“Azhan!!” He shouted with a shaky voice. “Help… Me!!”

“I’m coming bro!” Said Azhan, swimming his way to Azim. Suddenly, I figured that his leg too, got pulled by something.

Before they knew it, they both were flapping the mud like fishes. We four looked at them in horror. Suddenly, the meek and shy Safwa wanted to jump into the muddy water and save the two boys. But Azim stopped her.

“No! You’ll drown!” He said hesitantly. Azim used his telekinesis to bring us one-by-one to the other side of the muddy waters. When Azim was going to use his powers to get me to the other side, it was too late, he had gone in the water. Azhan seeing the situation, made a stone bridge in the nick of time.

“Save and find my brothers, Nuha!” He shouted towards me right before he too went into the waters with Azim. I ran over the stone bridge and met the other 3 of my friends at the end of it.

“So,” Syaima’ said rather sorrowfully. “We’re the only ones left I guess.” No one said anything else. We kept quiet. The three boys, gone. Now it was up to us to find their brother, Kimi.

“Come on.” I said looking at them. “We’ve got this far and we’re not turning back! We promised to help the boys find Kimi and we shall keep our promise! Come on, let’s get a move on.” And with that, one-by-one, our courage came back to life.

After what seemed like forever, we finally came across two monkey bars. Both the same length and looked tremendously long. Safwa gave out a grunt.

“Ugh!” She grunted quite loudly. “I’ve always been the weak one when it comes to physical stuff! I can’t even pass five bars on a monkey bar!”

“Well we’ll be here to help you.” Ameera said affectionately.

“I think I know what to do.” Syaima’ said. “We’ll start off with the two toughest girls among the four of us, me and Nuha. Then, you, Ameera, will go with Safwa as you, have that strength to save Safwa in case if she falls.”

“Good thinking.” I said. “So what’re we waiting for? Let’s get swinging!” I said excitedly as I clutched the first bar hardly. And suddenly, I let go.

“Ow!” I shouted, but still felt thankful that I didn’t fall into the abyss that was below the monkey bar. “That bar is steaming hot!”

“Meaning that we can’t waste time holding onto the same bar for long.” Syaima’ said with her finger on her pointed chin. “Come on Nuha, you can do it.”

So with that, Syaima’ and I started the long swing across the hot bars. By the time we finished, my hands were as hot as fire and I was exhausted! I counted while I swung. There were exactly 150 bars! Could the other two of my friends make it?

Safwa took the first swing on the bar on the left; followed by Ameera on the right monkey bar. For the first 10 bars, they were doing heavenly. But suddenly, something terrible happened.

Safwa had taken a glance below and from 140 bars away, I saw her face growing pale. “Ameera!” Safwa shouted to her. Ameera was at the same bar as she was.

“What’re wrong Safwa?” Ameera shouted back. “Hurry! My hands are being cooked alive!”

“I can’t go any further!” Safwa said, almost in tears. “I’m scared!”

“No Safwa! I believe in you!” Ameera told her. “Let go of the bar and grab onto my leg! Quickly now before I become fried!”

Without hesitation, Safwa let go of her grip on her bar and tugged onto Ameera’s leg. But, in horror, Ameera didn’t expect such response from the movement as she shook, and suddenly… fell!

“Ameera! Safwa!” Syaima’ and I screamed in horror. I felt my knees shaking terribly at the view of my two best friends falling into the abyss.

“Don’t worry about us!” I heard Safwa say, with her voice shaking while crying. “J-just find Kimi and the other lost boys and tell them: we tried our best!” And with that, they were gone.

Syaima’ didn’t faint but she fell onto the ground right in front of the deathly monkey bars. I collapsed with her and hugged her tightly, tears filling my eyes.

“You awful, unearthly, horrible, cruel realm!” Syaima’ shouted in a shaky voice that echoed through the place. “We lost our friends to you you cruel realm!” Syaima’ said no more as there was a lump in her throat. A tear came out from her eye and before she knew it, she was crying on my shoulder.

“I-I just want to go back to our world!” Syaima’ said, hugging my hand. I too, started to cry. “You-You’re not the only one.” I told her. My eyes still flowing out tears. “Come on, we have to go.” I told her.

Syaima’ and I got on our feet and held hands and walked. Still sniffing, but knew that we had to be strong. After what seemed like a walk of sadness, we came across a wooden door.

“We made it.” I told Syaima’ with a start. “We made it Syaima’! We- we made it through the unearthly obstacles!”

Syaima’ gave me a weak smile and hugged me tightly. We looked at each other and Syaima’ nodded towards me. I nodded back. I knew what she meant. I took hold of the knob, took a deep breath, and opened the door.

To be continued in: The Journey Comes to an End 

No comments:

Post a Comment