Thursday, December 21, 2017

Guess Who.

The bell for breakfast rang at school the next day. Syazee and Nuiz walked to the cafeteria together. They were talking about last night’s movie.

“I love all thriller movies but this one wasn’t interesting.” Nuiz commented with a shrug. “I don’t know, maybe I’m just being judgemental.”

“You always are judgemental.” Syazee told her with a grin.

The cafeteria was a real noise but the two friends were used to this particular environment. Sooner or later a food war is bound to happen and I’m going to be there to see it, thought Nuiz with a grin.

Nuiz and Syazee took their seats and set their food down at their usual table. As they both ate, something dropped on Nuiz’s plate.

“Lol, what is that? Hopefully not a used tissue.” Syazee said. Nuiz felt quite amused by this even though she kind of knew what it was: A note from her secret admirer or, aka the-guy-that’s-been-sending-her-notes.

“It’s just a piece of paper.” Nuiz told Syazee. She turned away and unfolded it.

Dear Nuiz,
It’s a bit stressful, isn’t it? Having somebody randomly dropping notes to you? I think I know a different way we can speak to each other.

I’ve left a note in your latest book, Holding Up the Universe by Jennifer Niven. I’ve read it before. The book was in your backpack in class so it was easy for me to leave it in there. I left the note between pages 76 and 77. Just leave your reply in there and I’ll read it anytime I snoop by your class when you’re not around.
-Git Gud.

‘Oh so that’s great. He left his nickname. Which literally gets me nowhere closer to who he really is.’ Nuiz thought. But, of course, she was keen on knowing who this person was so she was just going to go with it.

“Who’s the note from?” Syazee asked, trying to snatch it from Nuiz’s hand. Nuiz clasped it in her hands like it was a pearl and said, “It’s a secret.” And she grinned cheekily. Syazee rolled her eyes in annoyance and said, “We’re besties. Now gimme!”

Nuiz swiftly kept in her jacket pocket and pushed Syazee away playfully. “Noooooo!” Nuiz shouted at Syazee with a laugh.

Finally, Syazee gave it up and put on a pouting face and showed it to Nuiz. Nuiz copied her expression and Syazee was exasperated.

“Secreeeeeet.” Nuiz said, deliberately annoying Syazee.


After school, Nuiz went to the library. Syazee had went home earlier leaving Nuiz at school.
Nuiz sat on one of the chairs in the middle of the library and took out her book, Holding Up the Universe. She hadn’t checked the note ‘Git Gud’ had left her.

Dear Nuiz,
If you’re reading this, it means that the note I asked someone to drop off for me has been read by you. Anyway, you did say you wanted to play a game with me so I will.
Let’s play guess the person (Though I think it wouldn’t be as interesting as I know almost everything about you.)

About me: I’m a school senior, I like books especially fiction, thriller and mystery. We’ve talked once but I don’t think you’d remember me because it was only small talk. I’m not athletic, I’m more of a nerd. A technology geek? Yes, I think that’s the word.

I like books (I know I’ve said this), I like you. A lot. If you knew who I was you would’ve probably thrown the first note I sent you. I’m no Mr Perfect so, if one day you know exactly who I am, I hope you won’t think I’m a freak.
                                                                                                                                                -Git Gud.

“Looks like this guy and I have a lot in common.” Nuiz mumbled, rereading the note.

‘I like you. A lot.’

A smile curled on Nuiz’s face. ‘So he is my secret admirer. A senior. That’s both creepy and thrilling.’

Git Gud,
You seem like a nice guy. Why do you think I’ll hate you?

But, I don’t know if I should like you. After all, you know me but I have no idea who you are. Don’t you think that’s a little unfair? You know me but I don’t know you.

You’re a technology geek you say. Come to think of it not many of my seniors have a thing for books. They’re mostly big idiots (but you’re not apparently).
-Nuiz

And with that, Nuiz put the book back in her backpack. Before she went home, she dropped by her classroom and slid the book under her desk.

She smiled for a while before leaving the classroom and heading home.


“I’m home!” Nuiz said as she walked into the house. She saw her older brother, Zaid.

“Aiyoo.” Zaid said as a welcome. He looked away from his phone for and got off the couch.

Zaid also went to Nuiz’s school. He was 17 years old. Apparently, he’d gone home early than Nuiz.

“Zaid?” Nuiz said, sitting down next to him on the couch. Zaid sat back down and asked, “Yeah, what?”

“Do you know any guy in your class that’s a technology geek and has a thing for books?”

“Nah, I think I’m the only guy who’s like that.”
Nuiz looked at Zaid in an odd way and Zaid mimicked her expression. “Is this the ‘who can do the most awkward face’ competition? If it is count me in.”

Nuiz looked at Zaid in annoyance as he just grinned. “But seriously though, why do you ask?”

Nuiz fumbled through her bag to look for her book. She then remembered that she had left it under her desk.

“Nevermind,” She told her brother as a cover line. “It’s nothing.”

“Okay, weirdo.” Zaid told her.

As Nuiz ascended the stairs to go up to her room, Zaid told her, “But seriously? I think I’m the only book lover in my class. The other guys are just jocks who probably don’t know a thing.” Nuiz nodded at this piece of information.

She went into her room and lied down on her bed, thinking, ‘There’s no way my brother is the one that’s been sending those letters.’

Nuiz laughed and thought, ‘Maybe this guy isn’t my brother age? Maybe 15 or 16.’

Nuiz’s thoughts were quiet for a second before she thought ‘But whoever this is has me intrigued.’


Nuiz’s phone rang from across the room as she was watching TV with Zaid. She walked over to pick it up. Syazee’s name was on the screen.

Nuiz: Ayy what up.

Syazee: Wanna go out or just walk in the park?

Nuiz: It’s almost 7.

Syazee: I don’t hear a no or yes...!

Nuiz sighed on the other line before saying, “Yeah sure okay. Anything for you.”

“Great.” Syazee said before she hung up. Nuiz looked at Zaid and said, “I’m going out. I’ll be at the park.”

“Yeah okay.”

Nuiz put on her shoes, closed the front door and went for the park.

To be continued in: Letters Between Books. 


No comments:

Post a Comment