Friday, May 18, 2018

A Million Stories in a Night.


We both stared at each other, our eyes wild. Her brown hair flowed in the wind, making her seem much more intimidating.

“What’re you doing here? How long have you been here?” Her voice was soft but threatening. I felt my heart skip a beat.

“I-I was just walking back home from Martha Jones’s party,” I said, sounding like a child who’d been caught stealing.

“Was it fun?” I didn’t expect her to ask such a thing.

“Yeah, I guess,” I stepped closer, looking at her to see if she’d ask me to go away. She saw me walking towards her. I half expected her to shout at me but she didn’t. Instead, she patted on the swing next to her.

I sat on the swing next to her and looked up to the moon. I glanced at her and saw that she was doing the same. We both sat next to each other quietly, staring up to the moon. We were both so close yet so far away.

“I actually like you, Muhzim,” she said this flatly and I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn’t dreaming. My heart palpitated and I stared at her, my palms beginning to sweat. She glanced up at me for a seconds before down-casting her head, hiding a little smile.

“Why d’you keep running away from me then?” I asked in a whisper. The atmosphere between us tensioned as she craned her neck to look at me. “I don’t know,” she whispered back.

“But don’t bother asking me to be yours,” she whispered. “I’m not what I seem to be.”

“What do you mean?”

Erna’s hazel eyes met mine as she said, “I’m not human.”

I laughed. “Ha-ha very funny Erna. And I’m the son of Dracula.”

She didn’t respond. “I’m older than you. I don’t know what I am though. I’ve lived for over centuries, I’ve met various people and of course I’ve fallen in love before. It was terrible and therefore, I’ve learned my lesson; I’m never having any ties again.”

“Erna, stop this is getting creepy.”

“I’m not playing with you. How do you think I vanish in an instant?” I froze at this thought and Erna sensed it. She looked back up to the moon and sighed.

“It all started centuries ago,” she begun. “I was cursed at the age of 17 for stealing a witch’s jewel. ‘You will suffer the evolution of mankind, for you will live for eternity. You will be immortal. Mankind will evolve into something cruel, I foresee.’ I remember the witch told me. With a wave of her stick, I was cursed.”

I’m silenced at this and I felt myself blanch. “Who knows how long I’ve lived?” She continued with a smile.

I turned to her and saw that she was already looking back at me, staring into my soul. I try my best not to shudder. She put her hand on mine and smiled. “Bye, Muhzim.” And with that, she vanished, leaving a white rose on the swing.

And that, was the last time I ever saw her.

-End.

No comments:

Post a Comment