Sunday, December 4, 2016

Meeting Yana

I’m Insyirah. I’m an 11 year old girl, living with my parents in my grandparent’s house with my grandparents. In this house there is my quirky 11 year old cousin, Hannah, and her siblings, Aiman and Lidya, with their parents, my cousin Ryan with his parents, and my two trouble making siblings, Nadyne and Ihsan. Life was perfect, all until one day.

My grandma has two house maids and unfortunately, one of them ran away. She was a nice maid. Patient person. I would never forgive her I told myself. Grandma, upon seeing this situation, hired a new maid. Leaving the remaining maid, Mila, cooperate with her.

The new maid went by the name Yana. She was a woman whom I think was in her 20s. She had a scar on her cheek which made me squirm whenever I saw her. She had a look that I disliked very much. Yana was a quiet maid for a while, all until something sparked.

“YANA! Why did you break my favourite vase?! Ya Allah!!” Shouted Grandma one day. Yana came rushing to her with her hands playing around.

“Sorry ma’am. I didn’t mean to I…” Before Yana could finish talking, Grandma cut her off. And by then, Hannah and I had already hid behind the stairs, listening to every word.

“I got this vase from Shanghai I tell you! SHANGHAI! My husband is old and he possibly couldn’t travel back to Shanghai to buy another vase!!” Shouted Grandma again, with anger. Yana didn’t say anything.

“You stupid and foolish maid! PAH!” Continued Grandma. She made a tremendous rap on the table and left, stomping away angrily.

Hannah and I were still hiding behind the stairs, our faces pale. I was about to say something when suddenly, Yana chanted something. Hannah and I looked back at her and saw black smoke coming out from her hand.

My cousin and I stared at her, mouth wide opened. When the black smoke had finally came out, it transformed into a ghost-like figure. Yana looked grimly at the figure and chanted something, as if ordering it to do something.

When she had finished, the figure turned back and looked at the spot where Hannah and I were hiding. We both trembled. I was about to scream in horror when Hannah covered my mouth. I could feel her hands trembling.

The eyes of the figure were not dark, yet not bright red. It looked like the devil I thought to myself. After moments of staring, the figure vanished.

“What in the world did Grandma hire?!” I said, whispering once Hannah let go of my mouth.

“I don’t know. But whatever it is, I have a feeling that we must tell Grandma.” Hannah told me, grimly.

“Is Yana still there?” I asked, having the fear that Yana would come for us next.

Hannah looked at the place where Yana was standing and then said, “No. She’s not there. Come along to Grandma’s room.”

We both ran as fast as our legs could carry us and found Grandma in her room, sitting on her favourite chair, complaining to Grandpa about the broken vase.

“Come on dear, she’s a new maid. You don’t want her running away like the last maid, right?” Reasoned Grandpa kindly. Grandma gave him a fierce look and he backed away. He saw us and said, “Hannah and Insyirah are here.”

Grandma looked at me and my cousin with our faces still pale. “Oh what’s wrong dear? You looked like you’ve seen a ghost.” Asked Grandma as we both walked over to her.

Hannah and I poured everything we saw. And mentioned the horrifying figure as well in our story. Grandma only gave a laugh and said, “Oh you children. I wonder what you both have been watching.”

“What? Do you think we’re playing around grandma? Grandma, we saw these things happen! Don’t you believe us?” Hannah started, rather offended at Grandma’s response to the whole story.
Grandma only laughed and Hannah scoffed. “It’s true!” Hannah raised her voice. “Go on Insyirah, tell her!”

“It’s true grandma! I almost—“ Before I could finish, grandma cut me off.

“Go play your toys or whatever you play with and don’t disturb me please.” Said Grandma, quite firmly to the both of us. She then got up from her chair and to her bed.

Hannah and I walked out of Grandma’s room, upset. “Seriously, who does she think we are? Little kids like Nadyne and Ihsan? Thinking that we say stupid rubbish?” Hannah said, angrily.

“Maybe because she didn’t see it with her own eyes.” I told Hannah. “When you think it over, it is a story that seems like a fantasy, don’t you think?”

Hannah paused then grinned. “Yeah, I guess so. No wonder Grandma thought we were telling her rubbish.” We both laughed.

“But,” I said, being serious once again. “We have to convince her that we saw that figure. What do you think Yana could be holding? Some black magic you think?”

Hannah nodded and we both held hands, wondering what to do.

To be continued in: Things Get... Crazy

No comments:

Post a Comment